1. Create yourself a playlist of your favourite songs that motivate and inspire you whilst training.
2. Ensure you have your pre, intra and post workout nutrition ready before heading to the gym. I use PhD VMX² for pre-workout, Intra BCAA+ for during my workout and Recovery 2:1 for post-workout nutrition.
3. Log every session so you know your numbers of sets/reps of exercises and can also monitor your progression.
4. Always make sure you do a good warm up, specific to what you are training that session.
5. It is important to stay hydrated throughout your session drinking plenty of fluid. I use PhD Nutrition Intra BCAA+ to aid protein synthesis and keep my energy levels high.
6. Time your rest periods to ensure you're keeping the intensity you need for your session. Depending on your training goals rest periods will vary. Strength athletes take up to 5 minutes between big lifts like squats, bench presses and deadlifts.
7. Visualize where you want to be during your workout. This helps me push hard and stay focused, knowing each lift, each exercise I perform is making me stronger towards my goal.
8. Listen to your body. If you are tired or not recovering sufficiently, take a look at your nutrition and other aspects of your life. Are you stressed? Getting enough sleep? Drinking enough water?
9. Stretch! I always stretch to help recovery and also reduce the risk of injury.
10. REST. I take 1-2 rest days a week to ensure I recover for my sessions. I also believe mentally it is good to take a few days out of the gym, to keep focus towards my goals.