These Squidgy Pumpkin & Date Gingerbread Squares smell amazing, taste delicious, and packed full of protein.
Ingredients: For the squares -
• 1 cup cooked pumpkin or butternut squash • 1 cup
• 1 cup cooked pumpkin or butternut squash
• 1 cup medjool dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
• 200ml almond milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 tablespoons date nectar or maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
• 1 teaspoon white wine or apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup oat flour
• ½ cup ground almonds or almond flour
• 2 scoops PhD Nutrition Salted Caramel Diet Whey protein powder
• 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon mixed spice
• 1 tablespoon ground ginger
For the drizzle -
• 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter • 2 tablespoons maple syrup or date nectar • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup or date nectar • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
Chopped dates and crystalised ginger to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease and line a square baking tin.
2. Place the cooked pumpkin, drained soaked dates, almond milk, vanilla, date nectar/maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vinegar in a blender or food processor and whizz up until quite thick and smooth.
3. Mix together the oat flour, almond flour, protein powder, flaxseeds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices in a large bowl.
4. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix together well to form a batter. Spoon into your prepared tin and smooth out evenly.
5. Bake for 30 minutes until golden, firm and cooked through. Leave to cool in tin, then slice into 9-12 squares.
6. Once cooled, whisk together the sauce ingredients with a dash of water then drizzle over the squares. Scatter over some chopped dates and diced crystalised ginger on top.
Keep any remaining squares in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.